Tricks to Make a New Habit Stick …
- Make it Daily. Consistency is key if you want to make a habit stick.
- Make it Manageable. One step at a time and keep it simple. You can build on your habit later. Form the habit first.
- Use Reminders. Set an alarm on your phone or use “post-it” notes to remind yourself.
- Stay consistent. The more consistent you are, the easier it will be to make it a habit.
- Use triggers. If getting up and working out is the habit you are trying to achieve, lay out your clothes the night before or sleep in them.
- Replace things you are quitting with a substitute. If you relax each night before bed with a screen and want to quit screens before bed, make sure you have a good book as a substitute.
- Use positive self-talk. You CAN do this. You ARE worthy. You CAN accomplish your goal! – Remove temptation. Quitting sweets? Get them out of view or out of the house.
- Enlist support. Tell your family and friends about your new habit. Additional support can be crucial when forming a new habit.
- Find a role model. Research suggests that by spending time around those who share the habits you are trying to form; you are more likely to want to mirror them.
- Visualization works. Use it, practice it, and have fun with it. Visualize yourself as you make this habit a part of your life. What will you feel? What will you look like?
- Be aware of obstacles. Plan for and understand that there will be obstacles. As you consider the obstacles, remember a habit is NOT perfection. A habit is what you do MOST of the time.
- Do it for YOU!
Written by Carrie Company