Often times people are held back from taking their health in their own hands because it feels so overwhelming. Here is the thing. Taking SMALL steps consistently can lead to big health gains!
What are some small steps you can take today to start improving your health?
1. Take a 15-minute walk. If you don’t exercise at all, a brief walk is a great way to add some exercise into your day!
2. Stand up every 20 minutes. There is research to suggest that even by standing up and then
sitting back down every 20 minutes, you are doing good things for your health.
3. Eat one extra fruit or vegetable a day. Fruits and vegetables are inexpensive, taste great, and
can add valuable fiber and nutrients to your daily intake.
4. Stop drinking calories. Cutting out just one sugar-sweetened beverage a day can save you 100 calories a day.
5. Have a handful of nuts. By adding walnuts, almonds, peanuts, or other nuts you are adding valuable and healthy nutrients and fats to your diet.
6. Trade out red meat for one meal a week. Eat fish, chicken, or turkey instead of red meat. It is good for the heart, the brain, and the waistline!
7. Breathe deeply. Try breathing slowly and deeply for a few minutes each day in a mindful moment. Breathe in calm and breathe out the stress. Slow and deep breathing can help lower blood pressure.
8. Get to bed on time. Adults who get at least 7 hours of sleep are helping their bodies fight disease, recover from the day, and handle stress better.
9. Wash your hands often. Scrubbing your hands with soap and water often during the day is a great way to protect your own health.
10. Count your blessings. Take a moment each day to acknowledge the good in your life to tap into your positive emotions. Gratitude has been linked to better health, longer life, and greater well-being.